Monday, March 7, 2011

Painting Brushes

Acrylic on Masonite, Detail, 15" x 34," c. Catherine Vines

In looking through some emails last night I came across a survey from Marion Boddy-Evans on artists' favorite tools.  So far the front-runner brush was W&N Series 7, which immediately made me want to run out and get one! In fact, I still have some brushes from college.  Taking good care of my brushes has always been a priority. When I am working on a painting, I will fall in love with a brush and think,
This is what I am going to use from now on."  Then with the next painting I start the process all over again.  I believe in the back of my head was this myth that the "perfect" brush would make me a better painter! Now I mainly use the cheap Chinese brushes, and regularly paint over hairs. No magic. Just painting, painting, painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment