Thursday, July 21, 2011

Painting in Sessions


"Heather" - The First Session
Oil on Canvas, 6" sq., c. Catherine Vines
   
I grew up with a mother whose position on "Starting What You Finish" was very clear: that was your only option. It was so deeply ingrained in me that when a friend first suggested I could work over several sessions, I was completely incredulous. "You mean you can do that?" 
Now I break my work up over 4-5 sessions and think the work is better for it. It's as if I get a fresh perspective every time I break away. And it helps prevent some of the mistakes made from fatigue and that tendency to zero in on one element to the detriment of everything else.
Now my goal for the first session - as you can see from above - is to cover the face and get the values approximately right. And Stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment